General Purpose Rating
On successful completion of this Pre - Sea training, the candidates will be able to join as a RATING in Indian & Foreign shipping companies as a Deck Crew or Engine Crew. The G.P.Rating candidate will be able to work in all seamanship activities on-board at deck side and other work at Engine side. With further Sea-service, they will be promoted as DECK SERANG, BOSUN, Able-Bodied Seamen / Engine Fitter etc.,
They can also be promoted to officer Level with certain service and qualification requirements. After completing this Pre-Sea Training, exams will be conducted by Board of examination for sea farers (BES) & successful candidates are eligible to obtain Continuous Discharge Certificate (INDIAN CDC) from the Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India. There are wide job opportunities for our Indian Seamen all over the world.
They are responsible for safe navigation, cargo handling and allied duties. These ratings are employed in the deck department of the ship and are normally called “Seaman”. They undertake the routine maintenance of the vessel including chipping, painting, greasing, repairs to the ship’s hull, and superstructure. They are trained to operate the deck machinery like cranes, derricks and also undertake the steering of the vessel at sea, are employed as lookouts on the bridge under the officer on duty. A competent person can aspire to become the Master (Captain) of a merchant ship after required seatime and passing various exams.
They are responsible for the operation and maintenance of engineering and electrical equipments on board. These ratings are employed in the engine room for routine maintenance, upkeep of the different machineries, boilers pumps, etc., They basically assist the engineers in the routine functioning of the engine room. At sea, they keep a record and monitor the running of the machinery an assist the engineer officer on duty. A competent person can rise to the level of Chief Engineer of a merchant ship after required sea time and passing various exams.
Admission for General Purpose Rating ( GP ) - 6 months Course
PASS IN 10th Std with Total Average 40% marks. (With Individual Pass in Mathematics, Science Subjects). (or) PASS in 2 year I.T.I Course from Govt. approved institute with minimum 50% aggregate marks in final year. 40% Marks in English Subject is required either in 10th or 12th Standard (or) Any Degree / Diploma Course.
Min. 17 years 6 months - 25 yrs (maximum)
No Color Blindness, 6/6 Vision in each eye. No Eye Glasses permitted.
Procedure for Booking of Seats, Important Dates for Admission & Joining
- The interested candidates can book their seats by downloading the application form from the website (or) can be collected directly from the office.
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can reserve your seat by sending Reservation fee of Rs.50, 000/- by DD in favour of “Asha Marine College” Payable at Sikkim. (Please verify your eye sight before reserve your seat). Reservation Receipt will be sent immediately. The Balance course fee has to be paid as intimated by the Academy
- Last date to send the application form to reserve your seat is 30th May (for 1st July Batch) & 30th Nov (for 1st Jan Batch) of every year.
- Any extension of Date to submit late application form, Can be requested from the Office.
- The Students should report the AMC-Administrative office along with the passport size Photograph (Two). Original 10th Std. Mark sheet & Passing Certificate etc., (The Exact Reporting Date will be informed to the Students).
- Verification of Mark sheets & Medical Test will be conducted at the Academy.
- If the students, fail in the Medical test (which will be conducted at the Academy), will not be confirmed for their admission.
- The students who have reserved their seats, must come with their Personal items (List of items will be informed by the Academy) to AMC Hostel.
Issue of CDC
After completion of the Pre-sea training Course .i.e.GP Rating and STCW'2010 Basic safety Courses, the candidates are eligible to obtain Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) of India as per the guidelines issued by D.G. Shipping (Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways. Govt. of India). Institute will make arrangement to deliver the CDC in the campus.